The National Broadband Plan
The National Broadband Plan (NBP) is the largest ever telecommunications project undertaken by the Irish State. It aims to radically transform the country’s broadband landscape through the delivery of quality, affordable high-speed broadband to all parts of Ireland where such services are not available commercially.
The NBP will ensure that all people and businesses have access to high-speed broadband, no matter where they live or work. Once completed, all parts of Ireland will have access to a modern and reliable broadband network, capable of supporting the communications, information, education and entertainment requirements of current and future generations.
The network will be designed, built and operated by National Broadband Ireland, using a combination of State subsidy and commercial investment . It will make its services available to all of the rollout area, which accounts for 23% of the population in about approximately 554,000 homes, farms, schools and businesses.
What are we delivering
- A world-class, high-speed broadband network that provides equal access to all.
- The largest telecommunications project ever undertaken by the Government of Ireland.
- Around 146,000 kilometers of fibre to connect over half a million homes, stretching across 96% of Ireland’s landmass.
- Up to 1,800 people will be working on the project at its peak.
- A range of wholesale services for broadband providers in the residential and business markets. So that you as a consumer will enjoy a wider variety of choice.
- Services to all broadband retail providers from the largest to the smallest, on a non-discriminatory basis. We will never sell broadband directly to you the consumer. Instead service will be delivered by your choice of broadband service provider.
of Ireland’s land mass covered
fibre to premises
homes, farms, schools and businesses connected
Up to 1,800